Sunday, January 16, 2011

Week #2 Plan, Week #1 Recap

Week #1 successes:
  • Water intake are a minimum of 64 ounces was met everyday.
  • Daily breakfast (even on school days)
  • 4 workouts for the week (30-60 minutes each)
Week #1 fails:
  • Sweets. My demise. The worst was foodie Friday treat sweet rolls...ugh.
  • Taco Bell. Twice.
  • Did not follow my food plan 100%
Well it seems that my fails are definitely out weighing my successes. Time to turn it around for week #2.

Week #2 Plan:

Food:
Breakfast: Oatmeal (pumpkin oatmeal found here), fruit with peanut butter sprouted grain toast, Protein shake with fruit

Snacks: Celery sticks with peanut butter, cheese sticks and jerky, mini cliff bars, pretzels, yogurt, apples, bananas, oranges

Lunch: Salad with veggies and sliced turkey, pasta shells with veggies, quesadilla with chicken and salsa, sprouted grain grilled cheese

Dinner: Pasta shells with chicken, chicken enchiladas, Wendy's chili, Mexican pizza

Workout goal:

5 workouts this week (3 cardio and 2 muscle toning). I am still using that Nike Traning app.

Recipe of the week:

Low-fat cream sauce for a pasta dish. I don't know about you , but I love pasta and not only do I love pasta, but I love cream sauces on top of pasta. Does anyone know how many extra calories of fat this adds? Well let me not burst your bubble, but it is a lot. Spaghetti with marinara is around 500 calories per serving, Fettuccine Alfredo is around 900 to 1200 per serving.* Crazy.

* these are average calories based on serving size, not actual portions served.

Low-fat Cream Sauce:*
~1.5 tablespoons of butter
~1/4 cup of flour
1 clove garlic
1 cup 1%, low-fat milk
salt
pepper

*Enough sauce for 2 cups pasta. (2 cups dry)

Melt butter on medium to low heat, add minced garlic clove while melting, add flour until all of the butter has disappeared and it appears to be a buttery paste...not a floury paste. Whisk constantly for 3 to 4 minutes. DO NOT STOP stirring. You do not want to burn your roux (pronounced roo). When the roux starts to separate and becomes thick add half of milk, keep stirring until all of the lumps are gone. (mixture should still be kind thick) Then add the rest of the milk. Mix until smooth. Should have a nice consistency like Velveeta. Add salt and pepper to taste (1/4 teas of each). Add cooked pasta to sauce and mix. You can then top the pasta with mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, grilled chicken, frozen veggies, sun dried tomatoes, or whatever you feel would be good with pasta, which is pretty much everything.

This is my own recipe from techniques that I learned from making gravy and macaroni and cheese from the Pioneer Women. A roux is not easiest thing to do, but definitely handy when you need to thicken something up. Remember practice makes perfect!

Another tip that I learned from last week is that I really need to prepare better. With my on-the-go lifestyle I have no room for leaving things until the last minute. So I have prepared a few lunches, the pumpkin oatmeal, steamed some veggies, and cut some veggies for salads and other meals. I took pics, but they take too long to load, so maybe next week!

Good luck this week, hopefully I will make some progress this week, instead of just maintaining.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with planning ahead! I NEED to do this big time! If not, I find myself easily persuaded to eat crap. I haven't tried the pumpkin oatmeal yet, but I am planning on it this week! I don't have the nike app and I seriously am missing out! PS. I love taco bell.. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, planning is so key. If you plan and make all your meals ahead of time, think of all the stress you save on by knowing exactly what you are going to eat, and when you are going to eat it. Keep up the good work, I'd label week 1 as a success overall as you are making huge strides.

    ReplyDelete